One Big Man & One Big Truck


Packing It Right

Packing can be easy if you follow some simple directions.  Start packing early, pack a little each day and pack one room at a time.  It is also important to purchase the right packing materials.

Packing Materials

We suggest that you buy uniform-sized boxes from a packing store. Supermarket or liquor store boxes tend to crush easily.  A packing store will also be able to supply you with the other materials you'll need.

Buy the Following

You'll need several different-sized boxes:

  • Small (16" x 12" x 12") for heavy items such as books and records.

  • Medium (18" x 18" x 16") for kitchen equipment

  • Mirror Pack

You'll also need:

  • 4 or 5 rolls of box sealing tape, 2 or 2 1/2 inches wide (not masking tape).

  • Plain paper (newsprint can smear)

  • Bubble wrap

  • Cushioning materials

  • Marking pens

  • Large, heavy-duty plastic trash bags

  • Plastic mattress cover(s)

Packing Fundamentals

Clear a table for a work area and have available several rolls of tape, a pair of scissors, unprinted paper, labels, boxes, bubble wrap and a bathroom scale to weigh boxes.

Tape boxes on both the top and bottom in cross-like fashion for maximum strength.

Label the side of each box.  Mark the contents and the room where you want the box placed in your new home.  Write "fragile" on the box, if applicable.

Packing Individual Items

China and Glassware - Line the bottom of a medium-sized carton or a special dish pack with four inches of crumpled paper.  Wrap individual items in bubble wrap or plain paper.  Pack cups with rim sides down.  Stand plates on end in cartons; never lay them flat.  Stuff glasses and stemware with crumpled paper before wrapping and place in upright positions, not on their sides.  Leave enough room at the top of each box for another four inches of crumpled paper.

Computer and Electronic Equipment - Pack in the boxes these items came in or have the packaging store make special boxes for you.  If you decide to use standard boxes, wrap items separately with bubble wrap and then carefully pack in sturdy cartons lined with newsprint or loose fill.  We can blanket-wrap your electronic equipment, but we can only be responsible for properly packed items.

Pictures and Mirrors - Pack in special mirror cartons or wrap in bubble wrap and pack in sturdy boxes lined with newsprint.

Lamps - Separate lamp parts.  Wrap shade in bubble wrap and stack them one on top of the other in large cartons.  Wrap bases in bubble wrap and pack in boxes packed with paper.

Linens, Pillows and Folded Clothing - Pack in heavy-duty plastic trash bags.

Futons - Wrap in plastic.  You may be able to get the right-sized plastic covering from a futon store.

Bureau Items - Empty drawers.  Don't tape bureau drawers shut.  Tape can ruin the wood finish.

Books, Records and CDs - Pack in small boxes.

File Cabinets - Empty contents and pack in boxes.

Free Weights - Pack in plastic milk crates.

Plants - Loosely tie branches with string. Wrap plastic bags around the bottom of containers.  Stop watering plants a few days before your move.

Tools and Gardening Equipment - Tie long-handled tools together.  Pack smaller tools in small cartons.

Barbecues - Be sure all the ash is cleaned out.

Protection Coverage on Your Move

"The household goods moving industry is regulated by the Public Utilities Commission in the State of California.  Coverage on your possessions is set forth in law by the Public Utilities Commission in the MAX 4 Tariff."

Basic Coverage

Basic Coverage is included in the hourly rate at no charge to the shipper. The term "60 cents per pound per article" is explained by multiplying 60 cents times the weight of the damaged piece, (example: 60 cents x 100 lbs. equals $60). This is the formula that is used to determine the amount you would recover on cargo damage. This is minimal protection. You may want to check your homeowner's or rental insurance policy. The carrier reserves the right to inspect and /or repair damage.

Actual Cash Value

Actual Cash Value protection covers the depreciated value of your goods. This depreciated value is determined by the cost of the item when purchased new,  the age of the item,  the condition when received by the carrier, and the value you declare on the Service for Agreement under Consumer Protections and /or Waivers (example: .63 per $100 of declared valuation with a minimum of $10,000.)  The carrier reserves the right to inspect and /or repair damage.

Full Value

Full Value protection is not available through our company at this time.

We carry Property & General Liability insurance for property damage. We can issue a Certificate of Insurance for buildings we enter. Our company must perform a walk-through of the property at the beginning and end of each address in order for us to be responsible.

We carry Workers Compensation Insurance on our employees as mandated by Federal Law.


Updated:  March 3, 2017